High Street,
Essex CO7 6DE

Dedham and Ardleigh Parishes Office at The Assembly Rooms
Tel: 01206 322136
Email: Opens in separate window


Frequently asked questions.

If your query is not answered here please contact the Parish Office.

Click on the blue questions.

Can I have my child baptised at Dedham Parish Church?

Normally, you have either to reside in the Parish of Dedham, or be on the Dedham Parish Church Electoral Roll.

However, every request is viewed sympathetically, so please contact the Parish Office with your details.

Can we get married in Dedham Parish Church?

If you wish to be married in Dedham Parish Church it is worth discussing your wedding plans with the Vicar (contact details). Changes in marriage law means that it is possible for a man and a woman to get married in a parish church, even if neither live in the parish, if one of these apply:

  • BAPTISM: one of the couple was baptised or confirmed in the parish. (The man or the woman must have been baptised at some time, somewhere).
  • RESIDENCE: one of the couple, or one of their parents, has resided at some time in the parish for six months or more.
  • WORSHIP: one of the couple, or one of their parents, regularly attends public worship in this parish and has done so for six months or more.
  • MARRIAGE: parents or grandparents were married in the parish.
  • DIVORCED? In cases where either or both of the couple have been married before, it may be possible to arrange a Service of Blessing after a civil marriage.
I am trying to trace my family history. Are records available at Dedham Parish Church?

Only the most recent Registers are held at the Church.

All enquiries for earlier records should be made to:
The Essex Records Office
Wharf Road
Tel: ++1245 244644
e-mail: ero.enquiry@essex.gov.uk Opens in separate window
Records Office WebsiteOpens in separate window